What to get involved in Scientista's hottest event of the year? Apply to direct the 2016 Scientista Intercollegiate Research Symposium!
ABOUT THE SYMPOSIUM
The Scientista Symposium is an intercollegiate conference for pre-professional women in STEM that brings together ~300 women from across the country for a weekend of inspirational talks, workshops, networking, and research. The 2-day conference will include guest talks and panels from women across STEM industries and disciplines, workshops, a science research poster fair, a recruiting fair, and ample networking opportunities.
The Symposium will take place on October 1-2, 2016 at Microsoft NYC
This year's theme is "Scientistas Stand Up: Becoming a Leader in STEM"
The 2015 Scientista Symposium, themed "Let's Get Digital: The Importance of Tech Across STEM Fields," took place at Microsoft in Times Square NYC and was attended by 300 women from over 40 universities across the country. The conference included a career fair, panels, workshops, and a student poster fair. Over $4,000 of scholarship prizes were awarded.
CONFERENCE DIRECTOR ROLE
Want to be in charge of the hottest conference for collegiate women in STEM? We are looking for a self-motivated, organized, detail-oriented person to come on as the Symposium Director. The Conference Director will be in charge of managing a team of volunteers to organize the 2016 Symposium. The Director will be responsible for overseeing and executing all parts of the conference, from setting the program, recruiting speakers and sponsors, marketing the event, securing vendors, selling tickets, and running the conference on-site the day of the event. The Symposium Director will report directly to the Scientista Board of Directors.
Responsibilities include the following:
Management and Finance
- Organize and manage meetings and conferences with Symposium organizing team, venue staff, sponsors, and all relevant parties.
- Oversee all committees related to the Symposium
- Responsible for executing and overseeing all channels of the Symposium from start to finish, from content overseeing, fundraising, venue selection, marketing & ticket sales, to managing the day of the conference.
- Develop and monitor conference budget to ensure revenue and expenses are kept within an established boundary (approx. $20K budget).
- Review financial information for accuracy, such as invoices for services and materials, etc.
- Work with treasurer to invoice sponsors.
Event Management and Administration
- Manage a team of ~10 committee chairs and oversee the activity of each committee. Work with committees to develop and monitor timelines and deadlines related to all aspects of the conference to ensure goals are being met.
- Recruit committee members as necessary
- Work with Board of Directors and Symposium committee chairs to develop a program for conference, including speakers, topics, and timing.
- Communicate with speakers and sponsors
- Liaison to the venue host, including site visit if necessary
- Oversee creation and printing of marketing material, programs, and signage
- Manage event website, including registration page
- Attend the conference and ensure on-site support before, during, and after the conference (including set-up, breakdown)
- Provide any follow-up to the conference, such as thank-you notes, feedback surveys
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (Fluent English speaker)
- Exceptionally organized and detail-oriented
- Responsible; a strong commitment to seeing things through
- Flexible schedule - must be able to take calls during the day from conference team or vendors, if necessary
- Ability to work independently, as well as in teams; an entrepreneurial spirit and drive
- Strong passion for advancing women in STEM fields
- Demonstrated prior leadership experience (Experience managing past events is highly preferred.)
- Familiarity with Google Apps (Google Spreadsheets, Calendar, Hangouts, etc.) and Microsoft Suite. Comfortable learning how to manage user-friendly webtools like event site and registration page (no coding necessary)
- This is a remote position with some travel required
- The Conference Director role (remote) will span from February 2016 - October 2016
- Time commitment will vary from week to week, but will be approximately 10hrs/week
- The Conference Director must attend the Symposium in NYC on 10/2 - 10/3
- The Conference Director will be paid a stipend of $4,000 for time upon the completion of the Conference. Any incurred travel expenses will be reimbursed up to $500.
- Gain experience working at a scaling, high-energy nonprofit
- Develop your leadership, event planning, and management skills
- Grow your personal network of STEM contacts
- Gain a stronger understanding of the current women in STEM landscape
- Impact the lives of hundreds of women in STEM across the nation
- Our ideal candidate has a passion for empowering college and graduate women in STEM fields. Though having a STEM background is a plus, people with any background may apply.
- All people are welcome to apply, regardless of gender.
- Though by no means restrictive to this list, this position may be a great fit for an undergraduate, PhD, or post doc who is looking to give back to the women in STEM community
HOW TO APPLY
Please email a resume and cover letter to join[at]scientistafoundation.com. Use the subject line "Symposium Director Application".