The Scientista Foundation is an exciting new start up that empowers pre-professional women in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) using media and online web platforms in innovative ways. (www.scientistafoundation.com). We are the first organization to provide a centralized network and resources specifically targeted to the needs of college and graduate women in STEM on a national level.
Our goals include:
1. Increasing the visibility of women in STEM
2. Creating the largest network for college and graduate women in STEM
3. Creating content and resources that empower women to pursue careers in STEM
Since our launch in November 2011, we have over 35 chapters and affiliates across the United States and Canada, and have created partnerships with national women in science organizations. Our Facebook page has over 10k fans and our blog reaches an average of 25,000 people weekly!
Are you excited about STEM education and empowering women in science and engineering? We are looking for a driven and creative manager who can help The Scientista Foundation manage and promote our social media channels. The idea candidate would passionate about women in STEM, a knack for creating eye-catching graphics, and would be a fantastic writer.
As the social media and community manager, you will be responsible for overseeing the creation, editing, and publishing of content to our social media - both material that is only for social media channels, and for help promoting our blog. You will also work with bloggers to help format their content in a visually pleasing way, in order to draw more traffic to the blog. You must have an innate knowledge of social media and what is popular among STEM students ages 18-28.
Our ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Excellent communication and editing skills.
- Strong writing voice that will appeal to millennials.
- Great familiarity with the travails of a STEM major.
- Knowledge of social media platforms popular with millenials and Gen Z
- Intuition about what content will attract our demographic to our social media channels and blog
COMPENSATION & WHAT YOU GAIN:
The position is an unpaid, volunteer position, but may turn into a paid position in the future. The position of social media and community manager offers candidates a unique opportunity to join the national team of a high-energy non-profit start-up while gaining experience managing a large staff of writers from across the nation. You will have the opportunity to work directly with the co-founders and national board of The Scientista Foundation to shape the direction and brand of the Scientista Foundation.
Previous editors, writers, and interns from The Scientista Foundation have gone on to work for The Huffington Post, Levo League, and attended prestigious universities including Stanford Law School and Harvard Law School.
* This is a part-time, remote position (you can work from anywhere).
* Time commitment: ~5-15 hours/week
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. Cover letter stating your interest in the position and the mission of Scientista and your previous experiences that make you a strong fit for the position of Social Media and Community Manager.
2. Resume - please emphasize any related experiences including experience in editing, journalism, online media, etc.
3. Writing sample - Preferrably a news, blog or magazine article.
4. Grahpic Design Sample - Any graphic you have created, using the software of your choice
5. (Optional) -Online Portfolio, if you have one