Want to get involved in Scientista's hottest event of the year? Apply to join the organizing team for the 2018 Scientista Intercollegiate Research Symposium! Applications are now open and will be reviewed on a rolling basis until all positions are filled. All chair applications will be automatically considered for committee membership. (Note: ANYONE is welcome to apply, regardless of age, major or gender. We encourage anyone interested to submit an application.)
ABOUT THE SYMPOSIUM
The Scientista Symposium is an intercollegiate conference for pre-professional women in STEM that brings together women from across the country for a weekend of inspirational talks, workshops, networking, and research. The two-day conference will include guest talks and panels from industry experts, workshops, a science research poster fair, a hackathon demo hall, a recruiting fair, and more!
The 2018 Scientista Symposium will take place in April 2018 (Date and location TBA)
The Marketing Chair is responsible for spearheading the Scientista Symposium marketing campaign to student campuses.
- Creating marketing materials (emails, flyers, newsletters)
- Spearheading social media campaigns
- Liaison with media partner organizations
- Writing press releases
- Maintaining and updating the contact database
- Maintaining social media presence leading up to the event
- Maintaining social media presence during the event
The Speaker Chair is responsible for inviting a diverse group of inspirational speakers from across STEM industries to speak at the conference.
- Outreach to potential speakers, panelists, and workshop hosts
- Updating and maintaining speaker database
- Handling speaker logistics (transportation, directions, tech needs) leading up to the event
- Collecting speaker bios and contact information for program
- Greeting speakers and serving as speaker contact during conference
Poster Fair Chair (two open positions)
The Poster Symposium Chair is responsible for organizing all of the logistics for the poster symposium and competition.
Roll will include:
- Recruiting and managing judges
- Monitoring poster submissions and selecting abstracts
- Communicating with students and judges leading up to the conference
- Managing all poster-related logistics the day of the poster fair competition
Hackathon Demo Hall Chair
The Hackathon Demo Hall Chair will be responsible for organizing all the logistics of the Hackathon Demo Hall, which will be an exhibition of apps and websites built by women.
- Outreach to hackathons to invite students to participate
- Reviewing applications and selecting participants
- Recruiting judges and managing all aspects of competition (including creating scoring rubric)
- Outreach to potential prize sponsors
Recruiting Fair Chair
The Recruiting Fair Chair will be responsible for managing the Scientista Recruiting Fair and exhibitors, which include graduate programs, and companies from across STEM industries.
- Sending media kit to potential company and academic recruiters and sponsors
- Managing recruiting fair setup logistics
- Serving as a liaison to the company and graduate program recruiters
Special Prizes Chair
The Special Prizes Chair will be responsible for obtaining monetary and in-kind prizes for Scientista competition scholarships, as well as attendee giveaways the Scientista giftbags. The Chair will work closely with the Recruiting Fair Chair and the Scientista Development Director on outreach to potential sponsors.
- Market research analysis on potential scholarship sponsors, including grants and corporate donation items for nonprofit organizations
- Work in collaboration with the Scientista Development Director on:
- Outreach to sponsors in order to obtain scholarship prizes for Scientista Symposium Poster Fair
- Outreach to companies, local business, and organizations for in-kind donations and giveaways for Scientista conference (including totebag gifts, donated items for conference)
WHAT YOU'LL GAIN
This is an unpaid, volunteer position. Eligible students may receive school credit if offered through your school. As a part of the Scientista Symposium organizing team, you will receive many benefits, including:
- Free admission to the Scientista Symposium & Scientista Director's leadership dinner
- Gain experience working at a scaling, high-energy nonprofit
- Develop your leadership, communication, event planning, and management skills
- Work on a team - opportunity to be involved in the strategic planning of the Symposium and help shape the content of the symposium
- Grow your personal network of STEM contacts
- Gain a stronger understanding of the current women in STEM landscape
- Have fun! Work with a down-to-earth team! Attend organizing team happy hours and social events
- Work directly with the Scientista Board of Directors
- Receive a personal letter of recommendation or reference from the Scientista founders
- Each chair position is a year-long commitment. As continuity is essential for the success of the team, applicants must be able to commit to their role for the entire duration of the Symposium season. If you wish to volunteer for a shorter time duration or in a smaller capacity, please indicate this in your application to discuss alternative opportunities with us.
- All chair positions will begin in summer 2018.
- Time commitment is ~ 1-5 hours/week (August 2018 and May 2018 (Work amount will vary based on time of year and role).
- Chairs must commit to attending the Scientista Spring 2018 in person
- The responsibilities of chairs extend to the day of the Symposium