The Scientista Foundation is an exciting new start up that empowers pre-professional women in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) using media and online web platforms in innovative ways. (www.scientistafoundation.com). We are the first organization to provide a centralized network and resources specifically targeted to the needs of college and graduate women in STEM on a national level.
Our goals include:
1. Increasing the visibility of women in STEM
2. Creating the largest network for college and graduate women in STEM
3. Creating content and resources that empower women to pursue careers in STEM
Since our launch in November 2011, we have over 15 chapters and affiliates across 11+ campuses, and have created partnerships with national women in science organizations. Our Facebook page has over 5k fans and reach an average of 50,000 people weekly!
Are you excited about STEM education and empowering women in science and engineering? We are looking for a driven and creative editor who wants to work on a dynamic and energetic online magazine. Our desired candidate possesses clear communication skills, strong writing and editing skills, an ability to recognize strong writing, and a passion for women in science issues.
As the Editor-in-Chief, you will be responsible for overseeing the creation, editing, and publishing of our online content. You are responsible for producing weekly content and ideas as needed, overseeing the bloggers and editorial team, and providing feedback (grammar and content) on all article submissions. Other responsibilities include helping to screen potential bloggers, and providing support to your staff. You must be a strong leader, but also diplomatic. The role will be highly independent, but you will work closely with the co-Editor-in-Chief.
We are looking for someone with a passion for and knowledge about editing, writing, and women in science and science student related issues. You will also be required to be readily responsive via email.
Our ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Excellent communication and editing skills.
- Strong writing voice that will appeal to millennials.
- Great familiarity with the travails of a STEM major.
- An avid reader of feminist articles.
- Previous editing experience is highly preferred.
- A nice personality! Someone who gets along well with others and will be a supportive leader. Previous leadership experience preferred.
- Responsible and able to stick to and enforce deadlines.
COMPENSATION & WHAT YOU GAIN:
The position is an unpaid, volunteer position, but we allow students to intern for course credit if available with your school. The position of Editor-in-Chief offers candidates a unique opportunity to join the national team of a high-energy non-profit start-up while gaining experience managing a large staff of writers from across the nation. You will have the opportunity to work directly with the co-founders of The Scientista Foundation to shape the direction and brand of the Scientista Foundation.
Previous editors, writers, and interns from The Scientista Foundation have gone on to work for The Huffington Post, Levo League, and attended prestigious universities including Stanford Law School and Harvard Law School.
* This is a part-time, remote position (you can work from anywhere). Those based in the New York area will have the opportunity to meet on a regular basis with the executive team.
* Time commitment: ~5-10 hours/week
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. Cover letter stating your interest in the position and the mission of Scientista and your previous experiences that make you a strong fit for the position of Editor-in-Chief.
2. Resume - please emphasize any related experiences including experience in editing, journalism, online media, etc.
3. Writing sample - Preferrably a news, blog or magazine article.
4. Three (3) article ideas for ScientistaFoundation.com