The Scientista Foundation is a high growth, non-profit startup that empowers pre-professional women in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) through online content, community, and conferences. We are the first organization to provide a centralized network and resources specifically targeted to the needs of college and graduate women in STEM on a national level.
Our goals include:
1. Increasing the visibility of women in STEM
2. Creating the largest network for college and graduate women in STEM
3. Creating content and resources that empower women to pursue careers in STEM
Since our launch in November 2011, we have over 15 chapters and affiliates across 11+ campuses, and have created partnerships with national women in science organizations. Our Facebook page has over 7k followers and reach an average of 50,000 people weekly!
- Are you excited about the power of social media and online communities?
- Do you love spending time on apps and sites like GroupMe, Meetup.com, Reddit, Facebook groups?
- Are you looking for a leadership position that will allow you to mobilize, connect, and empower thousands of women in science, technology, and engineering across the country?
We are looking for a social media guru to join the Scientista Foundation team as an Online Community intern! This exciting position will give you experience in product management, social media, writing, marketing, and more. Our desired candidate possesses clear communication skills, strong communication skills, and a passion for women in science issues.
As the Online Community intern, you will be responsible for helping to engage and scale series of online communities that will allow scientistas from all over the world to connect with one another.
Responsibilities will include:
- Helping to beta launch and scale our new campus groups on Facebook
- Creating original content and facilitating weekly discussions in our groups
- Responding to user-generated posts, questions, and comments
- Spearheading a Q&A series with guest speakers (e.g. admissions officers, professors, professional women in STEM)
- Fostering a strong sense of community
- Working on special social media campaigns through our Facebook page (+7K followers), Twitter, Youtube channel, and Instagram
We are looking for someone with a passion for social media and women in science issues.
Our ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Excellent written communication skills and an ability to write catchy blurbs.
- A strong writing voice that appeal to millennial women
- Strong familiarity with at least two social media sites (either personal accounts or through a group)
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- A strong personal following over social media (Preference will be given to students with a demonstrated ability to engage with communities online, whether it be Facebook friends, twitter followers, Instagram followers, etc.)
COMPENSATION & WHAT YOU GAIN:
- The position is an unpaid, volunteer position. Credit is available if offered through your school.
- Online Community interns have a unique opportunity to join the national team of a high-energy non-profit start-up. You will have the opportunity to work directly with the Scientist co-founders and Online Community Manager to shape the direction and brand of the Scientista Foundation online communities.
- Previous Scientista interns from The Scientista Foundation have gone on to work for publications like The Huffington Post and Levo League, and to attend prestigious graduate programs including numerous PhD and medical school programs, Stanford Law School and Harvard Law School.
- This is a part-time, remote position (you can work from anywhere). Those based in the New York area will have the opportunity to meet on a regular basis with the executive team.
- Minimum three month commitment. Strong preference will be given to those interested in continuing through the following academic year.
- Hours: ~5-10 hours/week.