The Scientista Foundation is an exciting new start up that empowers pre-professional women in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) using media and online web platforms in innovative ways. (www.scientistafoundation.com). We are the first organization to provide a centralized network and resources specifically targeted to the needs of college and graduate women in STEM on a national level.
1. Increasing the visibility of women in STEM
2. Creating the largest network for college and graduate women in STEM
3. Creating content and resources that empower women to pursue careers in STEM
Since our launch in November 2011, we have over 15 chapters and affiliates across 11+ campuses, and have created partnerships with national women in science organizations. Our Facebook page has over 10k fans and reaches an average of 50,000 people weekly!
Managing editor's responsibilities will include:
- Maintain database of published and in-process articles (Google Drive)
- Disseminating monthly newsletters via MailChimp (training provided)
- Writing and disseminating within-staff informationals as needed
- Attending virtual staff meetings on Google hangout
Both the editor and contributor roles are part-time positions intended for students or early career science writers, who are either in school, interning, or working full time, and would like to gain editorial and writing experience by working with an international team of fellow science writers.
Because Scientista is a start-up non-profit, the editor positions are unpaid. However, we have been able to leverage our connections to outlets like IFLS, Huffington Post, and organizations like NASW and NESW, so that if Scientista staff and contributors are interested in pursuing science writing professionally, they have a possibility of being connected to professional outlets and mentors through us.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- excellent communication and organization skills
- a strong writing voice that will appeal to millennials
- a love for learning new skills and exercising creativity
- an interest in current events in STEM, feminism, and women's issues
- a knack for being friendly while working with a team
- the ability to stick to and enforce deadlines
- previous editing and leadership experience
- Familiarity with online media and an interest in artistic design and lay-out
- the ability to work on projects independently while coordinating with the team via email and Google Hangout
Preference given to candidates who are studying or who hold degrees in STEM fields. Experience working with NGOs/non-profits is not essential but is a plus!
- This is a part-time, remote position (you can work from anywhere).
- Time commitment: ~3-5 hours/week (depending on your writing process and organization preferences)
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send the following materials addressed to Lauren Koenig at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter - stating your interest in the position and the mission of Scientista and your previous experiences that make you a strong fit for the position of Managing Editor
- Resume - please emphasize any related experiences including experience in editing, journalism, online media, leadership, etc
- Writing sample - Preferably a news, blog, magazine article or newsletter or pamphlet that you put together