ABOUT THE SYMPOSIUM
The Scientista Symposium is an intercollegiate conference for pre-professional women in STEM that brings together women from across the country for a weekend of inspirational talks, workshops, networking, and research. The two-day conference will include guest talks and panels from industry experts, workshops, a science research poster fair, a hackathon demo hall, a recruiting fair, and more!
The 2019 Scientista Symposium will take place in April 2019 (Date and location TBA)
The Marketing Chair is responsible for spearheading the Scientista Symposium marketing campaign to student campuses.
- Creating marketing materials (emails, flyers, newsletters)
- Spearheading social media campaigns
- Liaison with media partner organizations
- Writing press releases
- Maintaining and updating the contact database
- Maintaining social media presence leading up to the event
- Maintaining social media presence during the event
The Speaker Chair is responsible for inviting a diverse group of inspirational speakers from across STEM industries to speak at the conference.
- Outreach to potential speakers, panelists, and workshop hosts
- Updating and maintaining speaker database
- Handling speaker logistics (transportation, directions, tech needs) leading up to the event
- Collecting speaker bios and contact information for program
- Greeting speakers and serving as speaker contact during conference
Poster Fair Chair (two open positions)
The Poster Symposium Chair is responsible for organizing all of the logistics for the poster symposium and competition.
Roll will include:
- Recruiting and managing judges
- Monitoring poster submissions and selecting abstracts
- Communicating with students and judges leading up to the conference
- Managing all poster-related logistics the day of the poster fair competition
Pitch Competition Chair
The Pitch Competition Chair will be responsible for organizing all the logistics of annual Scientista Pitch Competition, which will happen during the 2019 Scientista Symposium.
- Outreach to schools and entrepreneurship clubs to invite students to participate (both STEM and business students)
- Reviewing applications and selecting participants
- Recruiting judges and managing all aspects of competition (including creating scoring rubric)
- Option to assist with outreach to potential prize sponsors
The Website Chair will be responsible for publishing the 2019 Scientista Symposium website.
- Keeping track of 2019 Symposium content
- Getting information from other committee chairs
- Setting up ticketing platform
WHAT YOU'LL GAIN
This is an unpaid, volunteer position. Eligible students may receive school credit if offered through your school. As a part of the Scientista Symposium organizing team, you will receive many benefits, including:
- Free admission to the Scientista Symposium & Scientista Director's leadership dinner
- Gain experience working at a scaling, high-energy nonprofit
- Develop your leadership, communication, event planning, and management skills
- Work on a team - opportunity to be involved in the strategic planning of the Symposium and help shape the content of the symposium
- Grow your personal network of STEM contacts
- Gain a stronger understanding of the current women in STEM landscape
- Have fun! Work with a down-to-earth team! Attend organizing team happy hours and social events
- Work directly with the Scientista Board of Directors
- Receive a personal letter of recommendation or reference from the Scientista founders
- Each chair position is a year-long commitment. As continuity is essential for the success of the team, applicants must be able to commit to their role for the entire duration of the Symposium season. If you wish to volunteer for a shorter time duration or in a smaller capacity, please indicate this in your application to discuss alternative opportunities with us.
- All chair positions will begin in summer 2018.
- Time commitment is ~ 1-10 hours/week (August 2018 and May 2019 (Work amount will vary based on time of year and role).
- Chairs must commit to attending the Scientista Spring 2019 in person
- The responsibilities of chairs extend to the day of the Symposium