The Scientista Foundation is an exciting new start up that empowers pre-professional women in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) using media and online web platforms in innovative ways. (www.scientistafoundation.com). We are the first organization to provide a centralized network and resources specifically targeted to the needs of college and graduate women in STEM on a national level.
Our goals include:
1. Increasing the visibility of women in STEM
2. Creating the largest network for college and graduate women in STEM
3. Creating content and resources that empower women to pursue careers in STEM
Since our launch in November 2011, we have over 15 chapters and affiliates across 11+ campuses, and have created partnerships with national women in science organizations. Our Facebook page has over 8k fans and reach an average of 50,000 people weekly!
Section editor's responsibilities will include:
- offering feedback on 2-3 blog pieces per week
- brainstorming ideas for pieces
- contributing articles for their section
- keeping the editor-in-chief and managing editor up-to-date on articles' status
- attending virtual staff meetings on Google hangout
Both the editor and contributor roles are part-time positions intended for students or early career science writers, who are either in school, interning, or working full time, and would like to gain editorial and writing experience by working with an international team of fellow science writers.
Because Scientista is a start-up non-profit, the editor positions are unpaid. However, we intend to leverage our connections to outlets like IFLS, Huffington Post, and organizations like NASW and NESW, so that if Scientista staff and contributors are interested in pursuing science writing professionally, they have a possibility of being connected to professional outlets and mentors through us.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- excellent communication and editing skills
- a strong writing voice that will appeal to millennials
- great familiarity with the travails of a STEM major
- an interest in feminism and women's issues
- a knack for being friendly while offering constructive criticism
- the ability to stick to and enforce deadlines
- previous editing and leadership experience
- the ability to work on projects independently while coordinating with team via email and Google Hangout
Preference given to candidates who are studying or who hold degrees in STEM fields. Experience working with NGOs/non-profits is not essential but is a plus!
- This is a part-time, remote position (you can work from anywhere). Those based in the New York area will have the opportunity to meet on a regular basis with the executive team.
- Time commitment: ~5-7 hours/week (depending on how quickly you edit)
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send the following materials to email@example.com
Cover letter - stating your interest in the position and the mission of Scientista and your previous experiences that make you a strong fit for the position of Section Editor
- Resume - please emphasize any related experiences including experience in editing, journalism, online media, etc
- Writing sample - Preferrably a news, blog or magazine article
- Three (3) article ideas for ScientistaFoundation.com