By Jessica Khaimova
Many women in science look up to others who have taken similar paths and succeeded. Marie Curie and Rosalind Franklin, for example, are women who made remarkable discoveries, changing the way we look at science. Sometimes, we remember these pioneers by their accomplishments. Other times, however, we recall their quotes that have perhaps changed the way we view the world or inspired us to pursue science.
Below are five notable quotes by Scientistas. Read on and get motivated!
1) “We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge of all around us, and the more we gain, the more is our desire; the more we see, the more we are capable of seeing.” ~ Maria Mitchell
2) “There are an awful lot of scientists today who believe that before very long we shall have unraveled all the secrets of the universe. There will be no puzzles anymore. To me it’d be really, really tragic because I think one of the most exciting things is this feeling of mystery, feeling of awe, the feeling of looking at a little live thing and being amazed by it and how it’s emerged through these hundreds of years of evolution, and there it is, and it is perfect and why.” ~ Jane Goodall
3) “A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are for. Sail out to sea and do new things.” ~ Grace Hopper
4) “A scientist in his laboratory is not a mere technician; he is also a child confronting natural phenomena that impress him as though they were fairy tales.” ~ Marie Curie
5) “Don't be afraid of hard work. Nothing worthwhile comes easily. Don't let others discourage you or tell you that you can't do it. In my day I was told women didn't go into chemistry. I saw no reason why we couldn't.” ~ Gertrude Elion
For more quotes, please see the following websites: http://physicistfeminist.com/women-scientists/ and http://mentalfloss.com/article/53181/inspiring-quotes-10-influential-women-tech
Comments? Leave them below!
Meet our Scientista Spotlights -- current-day women in STEM and women from science history -- and find your role model! Read opinion editorials and history pieces to get additional inspiration.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
CONNECT WITH US
The Network for Pre-Professional Women in Science and Engineering
The Scientista Foundation is a registered 501(c)(3) -- Donate!