The Scientista Foundation is an exciting new start up that empowers pre-professional women in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) using media and online web platforms in innovative ways. (www.scientistafoundation.com). We are the first organization to provide a centralized network and resources specifically targeted to the needs of college and graduate women in STEM on a national level.
1. Increasing the visibility of women in STEM
2. Creating the largest network for college and graduate women in STEM
3. Creating content and resources that empower women to pursue careers in STEM
Since our launch in November 2011, we have over 15 chapters and affiliates across 11+ campuses, and have created partnerships with national women in science organizations. Our Facebook page has over 10k fans and reaches an average of 50,000 people weekly!
We are looking for a copy editor/proofreader with excellent knowledge of grammar, spelling, fact-checking, and style consistency. You must be very detail-oriented and able to spot incorrect word choices, syntax errors, typos, punctuation issues, and incorrect links and references. The copy editor will report directly to the Editor-in-Chief and will be the last stop for content before publication on our website.
Some writing may be required so background writing in a STEM industry is a plus!
Copy editor's responsibilities will include:
- Editing 1-4 articles per week using Microsoft Word
- Proofreading internal publications such as newsletters, flyers, other web content, etc.
- Checking articles for spelling, grammar, references, style, hyperlinks, and correct use of permissions/copyrights
- Occasionally fact-checking research-based articles
- Keeping Editor-In-Chief informed about article progress
- Attending virtual staff meetings on Google hangout
The copy editor role is a part-time position intended for students or early career science writers, who are either in school, interning, or working full time, and would like to gain editorial and writing experience by working with an international team of fellow science writers.
Because Scientista is a start-up non-profit, the editor positions are unpaid. However, we have been able to leverage our connections to outlets like IFLS, Huffington Post, and organizations like NASW and NESW, so that if Scientista staff and contributors are interested in pursuing science writing professionally, they have a possibility of being connected to professional outlets and mentors through us.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- exceptional English language writing skills
- previous experience editing and writing for various audiences and purposes
- excellent organizational skills and the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- an interest in current events in STEM, feminism, and women's issues
- a knack for being friendly while working with a team
- the ability to stick to deadlines and be reliable
- the ability to work on projects independently while coordinating with the team via email and Google Hangout
Preference given to candidates who are studying or who hold degrees in STEM fields. Experience working with NGOs/non-profits is not essential but is a bonus!
- This is a part-time, remote position (you can work from anywhere).
- Time commitment: ~3-5 hours/week (depending on how fast you write or edit)
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send the following materials addressed to Lauren Koenig at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter - stating your interest in the position and the mission of Scientista, and your previous experiences that make you a strong fit for the position of Copy Editor
- Resume - please emphasize any related experiences including experience in copy editing, proofreading, journalism, online media, etc
- Editing sample - Preferably a news, blog, or magazine article, i.e. a previous project with “Track Changes,” a “before and after” article, etc.